Here at Fullscreen, we work directly with brands to bring in advertising opportunities that give our creators rewarding CPMs and earnings. One common message that we hear from these advertisers is that they typically want their ads to run on ‘brand safe’ videos.
What’s considered ‘brand safe’?
Generally, ‘brand safe’ equates to ‘family friendly’. For instance, advertisers tend to avoid any channels that feature:
- Firearms or overt violence
- Racist or hate speech
- Sexually explicit content
If any of the above are present in your videos—or even in your metadata (such as your titles, tags, and descriptions)—there’s a much lower chance that an advertiser will want to advertise on your channel. For you, this means much lower CPMs and, in some cases, no ads at all.
What else do advertisers look for?
Producing brand-safe content is a great start, but advertisers look for other things too. Your channel will be more attractive if you have:
- Consistent uploads
- High-quality production
- High engagement from your fans
- Active conversations
- A strong like-to-dislike ratio
- A strong subscriber-to-view ratio
- Active social media accounts (e.g., Twitter and Facebook)
What if my content isn’t brand safe?
If your videos aren’t currently brand safe, you have a few options:
- Clean up your content. Check your videos for anything that might drive advertisers away. Some advertisers look only at your most recent videos when determining whether or not to advertise; others might dig through older uploads too.
- Do nothing. As long as your videos abide by YouTube’s Terms of Service, you’re not required to make your videos brand safe. Just be aware you may never see high CPMs.
- Check your keywords. If your videos are brand safe, but you’re using misleading or brand-unsafe keywords in your titles, descriptions, and tags, consider fixing that. You might see a short-term dip in traffic after you update your metadata, but family-friendly keywords can lead to higher earnings in the long run.
What if my channel is small?
If you’re a small channel, producing brand-safe content from the get-go is your best bet. This will ensure you’re a great candidate for premium ads once your channel’s large enough for advertisers to take notice.